4 large red peppers
1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
300g (10.5 oz) mushrooms, cleaned with a brush or wiped with a piece of kitchen paper and chopped
2 tsp Marigold Reduced Salt Vegetable Bouillon powder
200g (7oz) brown basmati rice, cooked
2 tbsp pine nuts
handful of fresh basi, chopped (optional)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degree C / Gas 6.
2. Cut the tops off the peppers (reserving the lids), remove the seeds and pith, and slice off the bulbous part inside the pepper that sits below the stalk and contains most of the seeds.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently saute the onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and bouillon powder, and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine this mixture with the cooked rice, nuts and basil, if using, and season.
5. Stuff the peppers with the mixture and put the tops back on.
6. Place on the baking tray and bake for 35 minutes.
Recipe from Smart Food for Smart Kids by Patrick Holford and Fiona McDonald Joyce